Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Saunas, Bathtubs and Steam-Rooms

I know some people are not fond of baths; I don't understand what type of reasoning these people have. Growing up we never had a bathtub, and if we would have had one, my mother would have allowed us only so and so rare of a bath, so and so often, as the water bill otherwise would have gone through the roof. Here in Ireland most - if not all - houses as well as apartments are equipped with bathtubs. 

Arriving in Ireland and moving into a house with two other people - a Finnish girl and the landlord - I remember asking Jonathan (that would be said landlord) if I could have a bath. He told me I lived there and didn't have to ask for permission before taking a bath. I was baffled and asked him if there is a charge for water, to which he answered "No". I had my very first bath in his house.
I was free to take a bath whenever I wanted, and I would often draw a bath and enjoy the feeling of being sunken into warm water, leaning your head back and enjoying the total relaxation. The only set back living in Jonathan's place was that the bathtub took a long, and I mean long time to fill up. If I turned on the tap on full "speed", there would be a moderate trickle. As the bath was running I had to put on the biggest available pot of water to boil, and then add this water to the bath. Have I mentioned that Irish water pressure is non-existent?
Even though I have a soft spot for baths, I don't tend to stay very long in the bath. I'm not that good handling heat, and I am the same in a sauna; I would stay for about 15-20 minutes and then start to feel a bit... uncomfortable. The hotter it is, the sooner I will be getting out of the sauna/bath. 

I haven't had a bath in a long time and thought I would have one today. The water was incredibly hot, and the steam completely filled the whole bathroom. I think I stayed in the bath for about 5-10 minutes. It was damn hot and I didn't even sink down completely into it. Karl got into the bath after me, staying much longer than my 5-10 minutes and we gave the kitten a bath as well. I think the kitten was the one who enjoyed it the least. 

No comments:

Post a Comment