Thursday, December 30, 2010

25th of December

After waking up groggily on the 25th (what kind of a Christmas would it be without wine?) to my boyfriend tugging at me to get out of bed, I reluctantly got dressed and helped him load up the car.


I brought my new bag, which is the cutest little 60's inspired bag, and a quaint pair of silver heels. I was equipped in ballerinas for the car ride and unloading of the presents upon arrival. 


While still rubbing the sleep out of my eyes we headed out onto the roads. 


I was dressed in my favourie skirt and holding the wine we had not yet had time to drink the night before.


As Ireland had been blessed with heavy snowfall a few days before Christmas the roads were treacherous for the Irish tyres and it was quite the hassle getting over to Karl's dad's place. At one point the car started spinning when Karl wanted to break and I thought I would be meeting my maker. I didn't. 


Once all the presents were carried in my lovely shoes came on in an instant. 


Wine bottles were opened, beers were poured and my favourite drink was making it a lovely Christmas afternoon. 


Karl's sister has the fluffiest dog called Missy. She has endless amounts of energy and gets excited by the smallest things.


Karl - sober. You should have seen him later in the evening.


All the alcohol was chilling in the "freezer". 


Bruce Springsteen was played. The Irish love him and so do I.


Everybody just kind of sat around as we all waited for the two cooks to finish the preparation of our monstrous meal. Karl's brother Mark and his brother-in-law Paul were assigned the duty of making sure we would all be fed and contented at the end of the night. 


This is Karl at a young age. Please note the Hollywood type dreamy, golden locks. 


Mark and Karen have recently become proud parents to the darling little Leah.


I posed with Jessica. 


The Irish are very fond of Corn on the cob as a starter. 


I am not the biggest fan of red wine but found myself enjoying the French Merlot that had been purchased for Christmas. 


Dinner was tasty! This is what a standard Irish Christmas Dinner looks like: Mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes, croquettes, mashed carrots and parsnips, brussels sprouts and a double load of meat by including both ham and turkey. Drench your entire plate with gravy and you're good to go!


Corina taking pictures of everybody.


Everybody posing for pictures! Me, Corina, Jessica (Corina's daughter), Tony (Karl's younger brother), Natalie (Tony's girlfriend) and Leah. 

 

We all pulled Christmas crackers and got lovely yet very flimsy paper crowns to wear.


Corina had made trifle but left the custard out. Yummy, but not unhealthy enough!

 

After dinner we sat down in the living room and exchanged Christmas presents. 


Jessica had a very cute doll with a very large head. 

 
 

I got a pair of Bumble Bee slippers from Corina. I love them!! They are so cute!

 

Later on in the evening there was a bit more desert for those that could still stuff down more food. 


The Christmas lights were turned on and I sat in bliss watching the lights and leaning into Karl. 


We all sat around for quite a while, drinking wine and talking about most things between the earth and the moon. I remember having riled up discussion with Karl's dad but I don't particularly remember what they were about. It was a very nice evening and as people started leaving, couple by couple, Karl prepared a makeshift bed for us on the floor. 


We slept on sofa cushions that were layed out to form a mattress and had pillows and a big warm duvet. It was the teeniest bit uncomfortable but I enjoyed being able to sleep next to Karl quite peacefully, and not having to fight foor room in the available single bed upstairs. We had to stay over as we live quite a bit from Karl's dad and a taxi would have been very expensive, especially during Christmas, in the snow.

I had a lot of fun and got a little bit closer to everybody, as I always do when spending time with Karl's family. I feel a bit left out when around them, as there are so many of them and they are all close amongst themselves. In time I hope I will be one of them, and that night I only felt a little bit like an outsider.

No comments:

Post a Comment