Saturday, February 18, 2012

New in Ireland, not Just me


I came to Ireland over three years ago. I had never travelled alone, I had never been to Ireland before and my knowledge of the country was minimal, I came alone and I didn't know anybody in Dublin. My most useful contact during the first few days was the Irish receptionist in the hostel I was staying in. There were a few receptionist, all of different nationalities, and they would work different shifts. I quickly learnt that the best way to get good tips quickly, was to save all my questions and ask the Irish receptionist. He didn't have to google or ask around in order to be able to answer me, like the others did. I mostly understood what he said as well as his Irish accent was pretty friendly on my ears, although he did say "notice board" in an unapprehensable way. Que me exlaming "OH, notice board" to which he muttered something under his breath.

People tell me I'm brave for coming over on my own, at such a young age. A "mere" twenty when I arrived, I wasn't particularly scared or worried as I had a job waiting for me and the first few days I kept busy getting things sorted: getting a SIM card, buying a duvet and a pillow, buying tooth paste and finding somewhere to live. I walked around so much that I got a big gaping hole on the sole of one of my shoes. 


While it wasn't very scary to move to a new country on my own I did manage to get lost on my first night and it took three hours of frantic running around until I found my way back to the hostel. It was dark and getting late and as for all I knew, it could have been dangerous streets I was walking around on (it wasn't) so I was scared.  

Sometimes I think back on my first few months here. I have a lot of memories and everything was so new and exciting. If I could go back and do it all again, I would. Ireland is a great place and I like Dublin. I don't know what I'll be doing in the future, but I don't think I'll ever move back to Finland.

On a related note: My younger brother should be in Dublin at the moment. Last time I spoke with him he said that he was flying over on Friday as he's starting his new job on Monday. My mother must be feeling separation anxiety as two thirds of her children are now located in Ireland. At least she can feel a bit safer knowing I sent my brother an email with a list of dangerous streets and places to avoid. I think it will come handy, in case he gets lost too. 

1 comment:

  1. It is a brave thing to do. Don't think I'd ever do it. Not unless there was someone there. But then you was away from home in the halls of residence, so there wasn't that wrench. It was more a matter of leaving your country and friends like Mai (spelling?). But then, I remember a very unhappy person. The move has been very good for you. You wanted a new, better life, you got it. Well done for turning your life around.

    ReplyDelete