Sunday, March 4, 2012

My First at a Market

In light of my recent healthy eating (minus some cheating lately, at the moment I'm eating a pizza and getting oil all over my sheets) I have been researching farmers markets and whereabouts in Dublin they are hiding from us ignorant ones. The aim was to buy organic vegetables and to hopefully also find organic eggs. These can both be found on the shelves of big supermarkets but I figured there's nothing wrong in giving some of my hard-earned money to hard-working famers, who are in bigger need of the money than the supermarkets.

I found a website with a long list of farmers markets and picked one on the ouskirts of Dublin.

Friday came ('t was last week's Friday) and with the unmistakeable weekend excitement I rushed home, only to stumble into bed. I was utterly exhausted and remained in a coma-like state for an enjoyable amount of hours and woke up early on Saturday. A quick peek through the curtains revealed a bright blue sky, and as I poked my foot out of the doorway I could establish that it wasn't too cold either.


It took a good bit to walk down to the market, but I didn't mind as it felt nice to get some fresh, crispy air while strolling hand in hand with John. The sun was really bright and John had to wear sunglasses. 


The market was rather small and there wasn't much that caught my fancy. I saw a quite large packet of organic vanilla powder that was quite expensive that I do want to go back and buy at some stage. What I did buy was a bottle of raw milk and a bottle of organic olive oil. John bought a jar of curry sauce. 

We found a steel door with a sign on it, stating there was a café hiding behind it. We opened the door (it felt a bit like we were breaking and entering, cafés usually don't have big heavy steel doors and they also tend to have windows...) and stepped in.


What we saw was a large area that looked like a warehouse. There were wooden tables, along with wooden chairs, covered in a quirky multicoloured fabric. There were chains hanging from the ceiling with cute raggedy fabric pennants. 

We had coffee and ice cream. 


I didn't buy any vegetables and I didn't see any eggs, but it was a rather small market. I'm planning to check out one of the markets that they have in town. The curry sauce that John bought was actually very tasty so I think I'll have to find my way back to this one again!

3 comments:

  1. Talking as someone who's family ancestry from my grandad right back to 1257, (the furthest back I can go with me family tree), I can confidently say I have yet to met a poor farmer, they own millions of pounds of land (unless, tenant or managers), has do my cousins now (we was done out of it, sore point).

    Secondly, I'd be very surprised to find any productive farm thats wholly organic, it's a nice selling point though, but most will use some form of control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Owning land and having millions in the bank, is different, at least to me. You hear so much about farmers being ripped off and struggling as supermarkets want to sell the food dirt cheap and they then get a low price for their produce.

      As for organic, I think a farm/product that is mostly organic is better than something which is not at all. The less poison on my food, the better.

      Delete
  2. Supermarkets aren't that cheap. I was watching a program where they was paying 10p each to the farmers for lettuce, in shops they where 70 - 80p. But then, there's a lot of overheads and staff to pay in a supermarket. Wonder if anybody has ever costed these things.

    I suppose it depends on each individual farm. But to me, more than the supermarkets forcing the prices down, importing produce from abroad is more injurious to UK and Ireland farmers, which is a shame because the produce from these isle are superb.

    ReplyDelete